Monday, April 19, 2010

Blueberry Nectarine Smoothie

If there is one thing I hate to do, it is waste fruit! When I see my produce on its way out or wilting on the countertop, I try to think of ways in which I can savor the last few moments of its over-ripened goodness! Typically I go through a lot of blueberries, but when there is a week when I don't eat as much yogurt or cereal as intended, blueberries happen to get shriveled and soggy by week's end. In that case, I keep a baggie of blueberries in the freezer and pull them out when I get in the mood to make a smoothie. I love to combine blueberries with any other fruit I happen to have available. Just recently, I was in a nectarine phase as it happens when certain fruits catch my fancy at the supermarket. Well, as it was getting a little soft to the touch and certainly exhibiting gross mouth appeal had I sliced up the stone fruit, I decided to combine it with the blueberries for a delicious breakfast accoutrement. I feel that blueberries are the little black dress of the fruit world. You can pair it with anything really, and it still tastes great. Plus they're incredibly healthy for you. So anyways, getting back to using up what I have in the pantry/fridge already, I like to remain healthy and limit the amount of sugar that these frozen drinks usually accumulate!

Here goes... my somewhat healthy breakfast smoothie with blueberries and whatever fruit that's lying about that's seen better days (bananas, pineapple, strawberries, kiwi, raspberries, peaches, plums). 

-1/2 cup or so of frozen blueberries (or fresh in the fridge if you have them!)
-wilted fruit of choice - sliced, peeled (optional)
-Fage fat-free greek strained yogurt (1/2 of this little cup shown below, eat the rest w/some Splenda or Stevia; granola)
-2 Tablespoons ground flax seeds (they've been holed up in your fridge, time to use this too!)
-About a cup of Sweetened Vanilla flavored Almond milk (Skim milk is fine too. If using unsweetened almond milk, the honey in the next step is imperative!)
-A couple squirts of honey
-Handful of ice cubes
Ingredients du jour!

On the smoothie setting.... blend until the consistency is pretty fine

And voila! Pretty heavy stuff, eh? I know, a truly simple recipe that we've probably seen a dozen times in our lives! But just a reminder to use what you have and put it in the blender! It's the "stew of the morning" and it makes you feel good to know all those healthy grocery store purchases are being put to good use! 

Enjoy!

*Note: This smoothie usually accompanies an egg white omelet w/spinach and an english muffin w/jam so that is why I keep the smoothie relatively low in sugar and carbs when I can. Plus with being pregnant, this drink alone can't sustain me, please!