Sunday, March 27, 2011

Once a garnish always a garnish?


All hail kale. It seems like this garnish on fruit and vegetable platters or scattered about a table in a buffet line is showing up everywhere other than where it came from! I'll be honest - I don't really love eating kale but I consume it for it's nutritional benefits. If kale is in a fresh pressed juice, I thoroughly enjoy the outcome. I have had a kale salad, chopped, drizzled in a lemony vinaigrette with thinly sliced parmesan slices gently resting on the mound of greens. Operative word: Parmesan. It made the salad! I recently made a lentil and vegetable soup with kale. I have to admit, I ate around the kale leaves. So what was the point? I won't lie, I try to embrace the "au currant" food of the moment at times, regardless if I am being true to myself of whether I like it - like it, or just tolerate it because it's "good for you" type thing. I do A LOT of the latter. I remember reading last year that grains were the big deal food. Grains like farro showed up everywhere in restaurant cuisine in place of rice or potatoes or polenta. I like grains but I get discouraged when I can't find the small-yield, organic, special grains that some of my recipes require. But I digress. Back to my kale quarry - I think it's the texture. I can't get past the mouth-feel and the fact that it's a garnish in my eyes. Needless to say ~ I will try it again, perhaps tonight...with my grilled filet mignon. 

My simple kale salad....

Bunch of kale, washed, ribs removed, then chopped 
lemon juice from 1/2 - 1 lemon
toasted pine nuts or toasted walnuts, chopped
olive oil
sea salt
pepper
parmesan shavings 

Chop kale and nuts and toss with lemon juice and olive oil to coat leaves. Add a good sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Since these greens have a unique, peppery flavor, I think the best quality olive oil one can find to make the dressing and a great sea salt are imperative to really savoring and enjoying this type of salad. Garnish with fresh shaved parm regg - and voila!